Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Week 19 & 20

December 28, 2015

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!



Our zone after Christmas dinner!!  We had a pinata! 



So for those of you who aren't my family, this is what has happened the past two weeks:

TRANSFERS! Right now I am in Tarapoto, in the area Partido Alto (which directly translates to the tall part, and everyone thinks it's hilarious that I'm so tall and I'm serving in the tall part).  
View from a member/neighbor's home!

The wonderful Tarapoto jungle!


Tarapoto is super cool.  It's jungle but it also has lots of mountains, so it basically looks like a greener, poorer Utah.  It's pretty cold here too. During the day its hot, but in the mornings I always wake up freezing. I'ts quite the change from Iquitos.

My companion is Hermana Inca, who is hilarious! She's so funny and crazy and I have lots of fun with her.  She´s from Lima and has been studying English for most of her schooling, so she can speak English pretty well! We still talk in Spanish because my Spanish is actually better than her English haha!

Christmas dinner with my new companion, Sister Inca, and my zone!


We have lots of fun pretending she cant speak Spanish. Lots of times we'll pretend she's from California and she´s a new missionary and I´m teaching her Spanish. The people actually believe it sometimes.  One time we started talking to a lady and she looked at my companion and said "where is that gringa from?" which in my opinion was kinda rude.  Hermana Inca looked at me and so I responded with "I'm from the United States, and so is my companion.  Sorry she doesn't understand Spanish!" The lady actually believed us and then tried to redeem herself by complimenting me on my Spanish hahaha. We never actually told her the truth ...it was funny!

Also I learned something interesting this week in Spanish that I felt like I should share... Studies in Spanish is "estudios", which if you separate the letters says "es tu dios", which in English means "is your god" and I don't know I thought it was hilarious because really, during finals week, your studies really are basically your God! (Since so many of my friends just finished finals!)

I don't know, I have lots of stories but I don't know which ones to share! Hermana Inca always has to go the bathroom when we're out proselyting.  One time we literally ran into an ice cream store, (which is basically just someones front room, where they have a freezer with ice cream you can buy) and asked to use the owner´s bathroom, and luckily she let us. But then we were like, we need to contact this lady, we need to talk to her about the gospel. So we decided to buy ice cream so she would come out from her house into the front room.  This would let us see her and talk to her. So not only did we get ice cream, but we also got to share the gospel with her, and now we´re going back to visit her today!  We call her the ice cream and toilet lady haha.
Basically I have a lot of other stories similar to that, where we used the sketchiest bathrooms!

Tarantula we found in the sink outside our apartment!


That's my week, more stories to come!!
Love you all!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Hermana Gurney

No comments:

Post a Comment