Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Week 9 in the Life of the Famous Gringa

Hola! Hola! Hola!

First off, I´d just like to point out that I have officially been a missionary for two months! TWO MONTHS! That's a long time! It has been one of the best and hardest experiences of my life! 


Height Problems!  HA!



Some funny stories from this week:

Peruvians really don´t understand the concept of a sunburn. We went to go help a lady in the ward weed her front yard, and so naturally I put on my spf 50 sunscreen before hand because I knew I was going to be working in the sun! Anyways, we get there and after like 10 minutes this sweet Peruvian lady brings out a sweater for me to wear to protect my skin.  I tried to explain that I had put on sunscreen to protect my skin, but I guess either she didn't understand or doesn't think my spf 50 is enough.   Basically I was forced into wearing a sweater for two hours while I worked. Needless to say, I didn't get a sunburn, but I sure did almost die of heat stroke. It was super sweet of them to worry, but I don´t think they understand how really minor a sunburn can be hahaha. 

Also: I saw my first tarantula this week.  This family we´ve been visiting have a pet tarantula in this jar that they always show me... its pretty disgusting.  Then after they show me this in a jar, the next time we visit them another tarantula just walks into the room and the dad just literally steps on it like its no big deal.  I mean this thing was literally the size of my palm, and the dad just steps on it! like that thing could kill you!! (okay well not really but it was pretty terrifying!) Luckily there haven't been any tarantulas in my apartment.  Our apartment is pretty nice compared to the homes of everyone else here, so I hope it stays that way...

Our Apartment!


Also for some reason, it's still a foreign concept to everyone that I have white skin.  I feel like I walk the same streets every day, yet for some reason all the kids still stop and stare.  All the teenage boys yell "hello, miss!"  I feel like I want to start pretending that I actually don't know English.. like I´m from Spain or something, and that I only speak Spanish... just to mess with everyone.  It is starting to get kind of annoying how often I get English sayings yelled at me in a really strong Peruvian accent hahaha!
 
As far as missionary work, we found this "familia de oro" as Hermana Tituaña calls them, or golden family.  Every time we go to visit them I just feel like they're already Mormon, and its not until they ask questions that I remember they know nothing about our church.  They're really curious to learn.   The dad has a brother who's a member in Trujillo, so they kind of know a little bit.  The best part is their whole family came with us to church yesterday!! They have five kids, so all 7 of them were able to make it to 8 o clock church!! haha It was fantastic.

This week actually went by super fast, I´m surprised.  I tried not to focus on myself and I think that really helped.  I can actually sometimes see my language really improving, so I´m really grateful for that. I still can´t really speak at all, but people tell me all the time that they can understand me and that I pronounce things really well.  So I guess that means I´m good at Spanish? Haha!  Also I was asked to pray out loud in English the other day and I actually had such a hard time doing it... it just felt weird coming out of my mouth because all I ever do is speak Spanish.. hahaha.  I don´t know it was the weirdest thing, but I actually couldn´t talk. 

Anyways, I´m just super grateful for the gospel and God´s help throughout this week.  I know I wouldn´t still be here in Peru if it wasn´t for the gospel.  It´s really hard but every day I find some tender mercy that helps me get through the day and remind me that I can be happy even in my trials! I just want you all to know that God loves you all and that he is there to help you through anything you´re going through!

I love you all!
Hermana Gurney
(PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY MORGAN! YOU'RE AMAZING! I WISH I COULD BE THERE TO CELEBRATE WITH YOU!)

P-Day FUN!


All the zones when to play futbol at the stadium and two of
my favorite people were there!


All the Hermanas in our zone!



Caught in a rainstorm again ... but without an umbrella!  Jungle problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment