Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 22?

January 11, 2016


So this week was interesting..

Elder Uceda (a leader in our church) came to the jungle to speak to us! whooo! It was awesome, he was super hilarious and really helped me see what I needed to do to improve to be a better missionary.  One thing I really liked that he taught was the importance of really studying your scriptures every day.  Not just reading them, because anyone can read them and never have a spiritual experience, but if we really read them and analyze every word and ask questions while were reading, we can really understand and learn so much more! He says that God had things "hidden" in the scriptures, that we can only find and learn if we spend the time searching and studying the scriptures.  It was super cool! It really showed me how reading the scriptures can actually be fun, because you're always finding new things! 
At the conference with Elder Uceda.  I actually put in my contacts so I kinda look normal!


So what else happened this week?

Hermana Jackson, another gringa who has one transfer less than I do in the field, was with me and Hermana Inca these past two days.  Her companion is in Iquitos having a meeting with the other leaders of the mission. So whooo another gringa! It's cool being in a trio, but it's also kind of weird! Especially cause now I´m the gringa who knows more Spanish and it's kind of weird that I can actually teach someone else new words in Spanish (I guess that means I'm progressing?) She actually really helped me feel more confident in my Spanish abilities, and its fun to actually be able to talk to someone in English at times when you just really don't want to talk or think about Spanish anymore. 

All the Hermanas in Tarapoto tried to make sugar cookies!  We used a little carry around oven.
You plug it it and put a giant cover over it ... and it cooks!

Funny stories...people will say funny things to us in English.   Some guys in the street the other day told us "I like your pants!" and I was just laughing because all of us were wearing skirts.  Hermana Inca shouted  back, "I'm not wearing pants!" in English. I don't know if they understood, but it was pretty funny.
What else... A guy from Venezuela just moved into our area, and so we went to go visit him.  He is a member of the church but less active. We couldnt find his house.  We had a member that was going to come with us, so since we couldn't find his house we decided to call the member and tell him not to come. So I get on the phone and I tell the member we cant find the house of Mr. A, and right when I finish saying that, a guy walks out of this dark corner behind a tree and says something.  I kind of freaked out because.. well its a creepy guy standing in the dark. But the guy walks forward and it's the less active we had been looking for! It was super awkward but hilarious at the same time.  Anyways, we decided that the elders are going to come teach this guy, because he´s kind of creepy, and it would just be better for them to do it hahaha!

Us with Hermana Maruja (pronounced muh-roo-huh).  She is the Primary President.
She is super sweet and always buys us stuff when she comes out with us to visit people!  haha

A member's home!


Anyways, a more spiritual story..
We found a lady named Esmila last week that we started teaching, and literally two or three lessons later she told us that she had a vision of light when she was reading the pamphlet we left her and so she thinks that's an answer from God that is church is true. (She told us she was reading and then kind of fell asleep and just saw a light, and that's her answer!) Anyways she came to church yesterday with her daughter and really liked it so let´s hope that she keeps progressing! If you could pray so that we can help her get closer to Christ, that would be great!

So yeah that was my week, I hope everything is going well for you back in the good ole USA, where it's cold and you're not sweating all the time!

I love you all!
Hermana Gurney

No comments:

Post a Comment