Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 38

May 2, 2016


So this week I was reading in Enos, first chapter and twenty fifth verse, which says "And it came to pass that I began to be old".  Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man that this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person was becoming old, I was. HA!  Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

So tradition in Peru for birthdays--- they smash an egg on your head. Lots of people told me they were going to bring an egg to church yesterday and egg me, but no one did! Thank goodness because I didn't want to have to wash my hair again!!!

My sweet pensionista bought a cake and made a special lunch for us on my birthday.  Here they sing "Happy Birthday" and they sing it in English, but they don't really know what they're saying! It's hilarious. My pensionista wrote happy birthday on my cake, and spelled my name right (WHOOO!) but spelled birthday wrong! haha!


Happy Birthday to me!  Thanks for cupcakes Mom!  




This week Hermana Velazquez went to Lima for her visa with another Hermana in our zone, so Hermana Arteaga (the other hermana's companion) came with me to work in Shilcayo. It was awesome! She's not quite as used to the hills as Hermana Velazquez, so we did walk a little slower than I would have liked, but it's all good!! The best part is, that Hermana Velazquez bought us Dunkin Donuts in the airport in Lima, so we had a nice little treat for when she came home :)

This week we met this elderly lady that we contacted on the street named Yudith. When we contacted her, the house smelled bad and she looked a little mean.  When she told us to come in and teach her, we were just planning on teaching a quick lesson and then leaving, so that we wouldn't get a headache. We started out teaching and she told us how she's catholic and she can't get baptized again.  She has a friend who's Mormon who told her lots of bad things about the church.  We nicely explained the restoration, proper authority, and cleared up all the doubts her other friend gave her.  We didn't think we made much of a difference, but apparently it did.  At the end, she told us to come back because she would think about being baptized the right way to save her soul! She even came to church with us yesterday! It turns out her cousin is our old pensionista! How crazy... we should have had more faith from the beginning that she would change!

My beautiful area!



So that was my week.. pretty cool!
Talk to you next week!!!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Hermana Gurney

No comments:

Post a Comment